Wednesday, March 26, 2014

One year in Madagascar

One year in Madagascar- 
My strengths: comfortable with the way of life... Confident in my surroundings-whether finding my way around a 2 million person city like Tana-which I am no longer intimidated by- or a rural and painfully impoverished village.
Being a vazaha-I own it!  Still explaining to people who I am as Peace Corps with patience. Other volunteers tell me I am friendly w/ strangers and don't hesitate to strike up conversation with people whom other volunteers may ignore. This is important to me because maybe, just maybe that conversation could help to break the stereotype of a white person in this country. Contrary to beliefs in the 'back woods countryside' no we are not all the same. I would hate to be jaded & sour towards the Malagasy culture at the end of service. I say this because I've seen some volunteers who are.
I am more realistic about my expectations of what I can motivate people to do (ie small things, behavior change baby steps) & my role in Mada. I don't hold onto any grandious ideas that I will save the world, but try to stay grounded in the fact that I am leading my women's group, meeting by meeting, showing them that they can and should take charge of their lives. Financial security & independence is a very real possibility.

It could be the fact that I just finished training the new wave of trainees so I have a refreshed perspective on where I started out and how truly 'EFA zatra' I am (aka already used to/accustomed to). The life I have made myself here was reaffirmed- I am doing it, I'm really making it here! I have survived & even thrived, not without the days where I questioned everything but at the end of the day, month, and now 1 year-come out feeling on top. Looking forward to the next day & still trusting that each hour, even if it's painfully quiet and idle is worth it.
Here's to another year of struggles, shocks, unforgettable nights & cultural curiosity, exchange & appreciation-US & Malagasy.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, every culture there are things which just will not change. That's even(especially) true here in the states too. What is the white person stereotype there?

    ReplyDelete